I just started reading Jerry Bridges' Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate. In chapter six, he addresses "directions for dealing with sins." Here are his suggestions:
- We should always address our sins in the context of the gospel.
- We must always learn to rely on the enabling power of the Holy Spirit.
- While depending on the Holy Spirit, we must at the same time recognize our responsibility to diligently pursue all practical steps for dealing with our sins.
- We must identify specific areas of acceptable sins.
- We should bring to bear specific applicable scriptures to each of our subtle sins.
- We should cultivate the practice of prayer over the sins we tolerate.
- We should involve one or more other believers with us in our struggle against our subtle sins.