01 January 2013

Reflections on Pilgrim's Progress: Introduction

First edition of The Pilgrim's Progress

I have read The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (1678) several times over the past few years.  Each time, I find the book more and more endearing and convicting.  The Pilgrim's Progress is an allegory of the Christian life written by Bunyan while he was in prison, reportedly for practicing outside of the auspices of the church of England.  (Lest you think battles over religious liberty are a new thing, they are not).

I have thought for a long time that I would like to walk slowly through The Pilgrim's Progress, sharing my observations and notes.  I initially thought I would try to write a short devotional thought every day, but I know my historical success with such things and it is perhaps better that I just commit to writing as I go.  If it happens to be every day, then so be it.  If you wish to read along, there are many wonderful versions of the book.  As much as I would like a copy of the first edition of the book pictured here, I will be reading primarily from The Pilgrim's Progress (Moody Classics) .  It preserves the original language, which may be a challenge for some, but I think it is worth the work.  I'll be moving slowly, so may that be an additional encouragement to thee to consider this version.

Have you ever read The Pilgrim's Progress? If so, what did you think? 

No comments: