21 January 2012

Act like men

I never know how, or if, to mention this issue from my past, but here goes. My mom and dad divorced when I was young, so I grew up without my dad in the home. Despite their divorce, they generally supported one another when it came to parenting, but my dad wasn't there. It is by God's grace that my life has turned out this way.

We watched Courageous tonight and the absence of fathers is a primary theme. I suppose we could write it off and say that the movie producers had an agenda, however, I have done the research on father absence and the statistics they mention are generally accurate. When I say I did the research, I actually analyzed the data and presented it at a scientific meeting. This battle for children is not just a story line, it is a very real issue facing our society and our families.  Kids need dads.

1 Corinthians 16:13-14 says, "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." Kids need dads who will watch over them, protect them, and teach them. Kids need dads who will be faithful to them, faithful to their mothers, and faithful to God.  Kids need dads who will act like men, dads who will lead their families, and dads who will be strong.

The message is often unpopular, but for the sake of your kids, act like men. 

Daily Reading: Mark 1, Numbers 32, 1 Corinthians 16, Revelation 13, Job 7, Psalm 4, Proverbs 4, 2 Chronicles 7, Acts 14

No comments: