16 January 2012

Follow me. I'm following Christ.

"Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ."-1 Corinthians 11:1

This verse intimidates me. Paul is telling the Corinthian believers to consider his life and copy him because he is of Christ. In other words, he is saying that he is modeling Christian living. The end of chapter 10 provides some context for this brief, bold statement. Paul is telling them not to seek their own good, but the good of their neighbors (10:24). He then goes on to say, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved." 

Does Paul really mean that I am to do everything for the glory of God? Does he really mean that I am to be wholly other-centered so that many might be saved?  I think he does mean that.

Every time I come upon this verse, I do some self-reflection. Could I rightly echo Paul? Could I say to my children, "Look at me. Live the way I am living. Act the way I do."? In many ways, I would struggle to offer my kids that challenge. I am selfish with my time. I am often quickly irritated. I do not "do all to the glory of God."

What I do hope I am able to model for my kids and that they will imitate is my utter dependence upon the Gospel. I want them to see that I am nothing apart from the redemptive work of Christ in my life. I want them to know that there is no sin so big that Christ's blood will not atone for it. I want them to see God glorified in my every word and action. I want to be able to say to them, "I am not perfect, but one who is loves me so much that he gave himself for me."

Follow me. I'm following Christ.

Daily Reading: Matthew 24, Numbers 27, 1 Corinthians 11, Revelation 8, Job 2, Psalm 149, Proverbs 30, 2 Chronicles 2, Daniel 9, Acts 9

No comments: